Indiana Military Installation History

Indiana, having been part of the Northwest Territory, has seen a fair share of military sites over the years, although active sites are very few right now.

Former sites include Fort Vincennes (1731 – 1766), Fort Sackville (1766 – 1779), Fort Patrick Henry (1779 – 1787), and Fort Knox 1 (1787 – 1803) and Fort Knox II (1803 – 1816) dating from the early days of settlement, the Jeffersonville Quartermaster Depot (1861 – 1945),  US Arsenal Indianapolis (1863 – 1903), Fort Harrison, Fort Benjamin Harrison (1903 – 1991), Jefferson Proving Ground (1941 – 1995), Wabash River Ordnance Works/Newport Army Ammunition Plant/Newport Chemical Depot (1941 – 2008), Evansville Arsenal, and the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant, also known as the Charlestown Powder Plant.  This list is not complete and will not include active sites.  It will be updated on a regular basis as additional sites are discovered.